Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cobb Accessport vs Technosquare Reflash for 350z

Thanks

Default Cobb Accessport vs Technosquare Reflash for 350z

So i need to get my ecu reprogrammed cause right now its setup for a turbonetics kit via a reflash and my car is gonna be N/A for a while.

So im waying these two options. What would you guys go with and why?

Im liking the cobb accesport cause i can change stuff on my own. But its fairly new to the 350z so i havent heard a lot of reviews on it. I know it works wonders for the wrx, sti guys.

Technosquare you have to un install your ecu ship it to them for them to reprogram and if you change anything you have to send it back again and pay another fee to get it updated. But many people have run it for a while with no issues.

Discuss peoples.

Thanks

I have the technosquare. No issues. Cobb has its advantages. 1 being that you can sell it when you decide to go with something better for a TT setup. The TS reflash will be "undone" if you do go back FI.

I haven't looked b/c I already have the TS, but how much is the Cobb going for? TS is $600 and then $100 each time you send it back.

Thanks

cobb i think is going around 670-700 new. ive seen a few for sale on the z boards for 600.

i was just reading on cobb's website though and i found this.

YOU MUST USE THE FACTORY INTAKE SYSTEM
    ONLY. NO OTHER AFTERMARKET INTAKES ARE CERTIFIED COMPATIBLE WITH THIS CALIBRATION.
    THE INSTALLATION OF ANY OTHER HARDWARE SUCH AS STRAIGHT PIPES, HEADERS, OR PLENUM
    SPACERS MAY ALLOW THE VEHICLE TO RUN LEANER THAN DESIRED, WHICH CAN CAUSE ENGINE
    DAMAGE.

they said drop in filters for the stock intake was okay, cat back exhaust, high flow cats and underdrive pulleys.

im wondering though if thats just cobb playing it safe to cover themselves or what.

Thanks

Get an 06 airbox and a drop in. 06 box has the velocity stack and with a drop-in, you'll make more power than any other intake. This is why the Mine's 350Z looks stock under the hood. And why I have sold my Pop Charger to go drop-in.

I'd say it'll cost you about the same to do things right. You'd be best to dyno and send a sheet with the computer so they can accurately tune. They've done so many VQs that they can reflash them successfully. They've established their credibility with mail-in reflashes, regardless of what some people will say/think. LOTS of people go with TS and 99% of them are happy. The other 1% hates life and will never like anything. =p

Cobb is probably good but TS has established their name and accuracy through numerous satisfied customers. Even though I have a TS, I'd still get it if I didn't.

Another option is Osiris from Uprev. Lots of people like it and with the cruise control buttons, you can actually set 3 levels of tuning. Maybe 1 performance tune (advance timing), 1 for nitrous (retard the timing), and a valet mode. You use software and a laptop. I haven't read much on it. It's relatively new but older than Cobb's accessport for the Z. This will give you a more accurate description: http://www.uprev.com/

Thanks

the tecnosquare people dont change the injector pulse witch o modify afr's. they just change the maf scaling, this results in unwanted timing changes for boosted motors,
    -norcar-

Quote Originally Posted by vtecsikid View Post
    wow, way to blow up the forum
    Have inspection questions? pm me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boogerboy72 View Post
    the tecnosquare people dont change the injector pulse witch o modify afr's. they just change the maf scaling, this results in unwanted timing changes for boosted motors,
    yeah thats like what steve said earlier. the technosquare just gets un done when i go boosted again. the cobb i can sell and recoup some of the funds.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O Z33 View Post
    Get an 06 airbox and a drop in. 06 box has the velocity stack and with a drop-in, you'll make more power than any other intake. This is why the Mine's 350Z looks stock under the hood. And why I have sold my Pop Charger to go drop-in.

I'd say it'll cost you about the same to do things right. You'd be best to dyno and send a sheet with the computer so they can accurately tune. They've done so many VQs that they can reflash them successfully. They've established their credibility with mail-in reflashes, regardless of what some people will say/think. LOTS of people go with TS and 99% of them are happy. The other 1% hates life and will never like anything. =p

Cobb is probably good but TS has established their name and accuracy through numerous satisfied customers. Even though I have a TS, I'd still get it if I didn't.

Another option is Osiris from Uprev. Lots of people like it and with the cruise control buttons, you can actually set 3 levels of tuning. Maybe 1 performance tune (advance timing), 1 for nitrous (retard the timing), and a valet mode. You use software and a laptop. I haven't read much on it. It's relatively new but older than Cobb's accessport for the Z. This will give you a more accurate description: http://www.uprev.com/
    damn and i already bought an injen intake to.

Thanks

He cannot dyno his car....

Have you tried contacting turbonetics to see if they offer a reflash deal maybe?

im sure someone on a forum somewhere has a spare ecu for cheap! if not just reflash for stock stuff...just to make the whole thing easy
    It's not all THAT fast

Thanks

Spare ECU will do no good. VQ35 ECUs are VIN specific. TS can duplicate your ECU onto another but sourcing another ECU won't just give you a plug and play scenario.

Ok... he can't dyno. Does he have a dyno sheet from before he went turbo? If not, they can still go with typical baseline #s and get good results.

Thanks

Here are links to all the companies mentioned for comparison of features/specs:
    http://technosquareinc.com/350z.htm
    http://uprev.com/products/osiris_NI.html
    http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3686

Thanks

Good info Steve.

Cant say I have experience with either but I have met some of the guys from Cobb and they are the real deal. They have been branching out to more cars recently with their Accessport tuning but they have built a brand on high quality products so I think they would be a trustworthy source of a 350 tune.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O Z33 View Post
    Spare ECU will do no good. VQ35 ECUs are VIN specific. TS can duplicate your ECU onto another but sourcing another ECU won't just give you a plug and play scenario.

Ok... he can't dyno. Does he have a dyno sheet from before he went turbo? If not, they can still go with typical baseline #s and get good results.
    i doubt it. Danny do you?

Also I "THINK" what they mean by VIN specific is actually a range of VINS a certain ecu will work in...kinda like a rev-up ecu would not work on a nonrev-up engine. I dont think our ecus are smart enough to know that if we was to swap our ecus into the exact same cars it would say nope not my vin and not work. vin is just an id num. if he was to get an ecu from the exact same car it should work perfectly fine. atleast i THINK thats what would happen...never tried it out to see. BUT one more thing to consider is what if your ecu was to get fried? i doubt nissan makes space ecus specifically with your vin. would be outrageously expensive i bet. just thinking out loud now
    It's not all THAT fast

Thanks

I've read it before. Nissan has to flash the ECU for your VIN. But again, you're going to keep on with your cocky ass attitude. Go get an ECU from a junk yard. See what happens.

Thanks

nissans with the "smart keys" are programmed for YOUR vin. not a range of vins. end of discussion.
    -norcar-

Quote Originally Posted by vtecsikid View Post
    wow, way to blow up the forum
    Have inspection questions? pm me.

Thanks

Just found it. It's not the VIN. It's the immobilizer inside the key. You can go to a junk yard but you'll need the key, locks, and ignition from the donor car as well.

From TS's site:
    Can I get a spare ECU/ do you have a core swap program?
    No. The current Nissan models have an immobilizer chip build in each car with its own key for thief prevention. This means that you CAN NOT get another ECU and run your car. It will not start. However, we can duplicate your immobilizer into another ECU.

http://technosquareinc.com/faq.htm#canigetspare

Thanks

wow dude you really have some serious issues...im not cocky for one thing. and I said i THOUGHT you could use one. But thanks for doing the research for me

but anyways lets not get side-tracked again

Danny...look...if you want to spend money on the N/A tuning stuff then go for it bro. Seems a little pointless to me to get something that ur just gonna have to sell again later cuz it wont work with FI. But im down with whatever you decide to do man.
    It's not all THAT fast

Thanks

If by serious issues you mean that I will back what I say with proof, then thank you.

Thanks

^lol sure
    It's not all THAT fast

Thanks

No i dont have any dyno's before i turbo'd the car.

well the whole reason im researching this is cause my current ecu map is not gonna work for the car N/A so my options would have been to find an ecu somewhere that was compatible with my car. But as has been pointed out in this thread theres an issue with the immobilizer etc and it sounds like way to much work just to get reverted back to stock settings. Plus i scoured the 350z boards and couldnt find an ecu that would for my car and most where going for 300+ dollars anyway.

So im left with the two options i have been considering, getting some kind of N/A reflash done cause there is no doubt with its current reflash its not gonna run right hell prolly wont start. So since its getting reflashed and its costing money no matter what i do m9ight as well get it N/A tuned instead of just reverting back to stock.

cause whether technosquare reflash's for an N/A tune or stock setting its gonna cost 600 either way.

but at this point im leaning towards the cobbacessport. same amount of money basically, and has some other additional features to be offered, plus its something tangible that i can resell later on.

Thanks

I guess you need a pat on the back, dude. Hiding behind insecurity is a hard job. But you do it well.